About. . .

This website is meant for family historians. Readers will find information about how people and communities were impacted by natural phenomena – or Mother Nature. Blog posts will present examples of actual events and how families coped with them. Links will be added to websites and articles that may assist genealogists looking for specific data about certain areas.

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Diary: Living with a pandemic 9 (Saturday 21 March 2020)


We are taking precautions in our home. I have mentioned before that we don’t go out much. Grocery shopping yesterday was the first trip I made this week, outside of walking dogs several times a day. I picked a shopping time when the numbers of customers would be low which meant that the risk would also be low.

To date (21 March 2020) 169 countries (up 10 in 24 hours) have reported 282,395 cases (up 26,666); 11,822 people have died (up 1,327); and 93,189 have recovered (up 3,271). Canada has 1,085 reported confirmed or presumptive cases (up 213). We also have 11 people reported as recovered but unfortunately 13 deaths now.


After I arrived home from the grocery store, my wife threw all the clothes I had worn, along with my jacket, into the wash. We are not going to take chances that a molecule of the virus might be brought home. I kept a package of sanitary wipes in my pocket while I was out. That was a good thing as the grocery store, in spite of their advertising, did not have much in the way of protection available yet.

Many neighbours in our condo complex are stepping up to offer help to those who may be self-isolating or not up to running the errands they usually do. That is gratifying to see. I suspect it is widespread through the community although we may not hear of it all that often.

On the advice of health officials and others, we in our condo building are posting a notice to have all deliveries left at the front door rather than allow delivery people into the building. I do not doubt that these workers are diligent in their handling of packages and would not spread the virus intentionally, but better to be safe than sorry. Many of us here are seniors.

I came across some interesting statistics about the virus and how different countries have fared on this website. The basic data is here. We are lucky here in Canada so far and I hope we stay that way.





No comments:

Post a Comment